Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sage Draper, Sept. 27, 1978

Maxine the Martian

Intro: This is about a girl named K. W., she is 11 years old. She meets a Martian named Maxine, she's 11 too. Read the story.

Chapter 1

It was the first day of October. On the second of October I was supposed to go to a two week "Get Acquainted Camp." This camp is for boys and girls. My mother said I had to go because I didn't have many friends.

We had moved from New York to California on the 1st of September. I was upset and uninterested about being in California (since I was born in New York and had lived there all my life).

Even though I had already started school I didn't try to make friends.

The night came and I had to go to bed.

That night I couldn't sleep. I was worried half to death.

When I woke up I got up, made my bed, got dressed, had breakfast, and started packing.

I was supposed to be at Washington Park at 10:00am if I wanted to get on the bus. It was 9:31 and I was not finished packing.

It was 9:45 when I finished packing. I asked my mom if she would now take me to the park so I wouldn't miss the bus.

We arrived at 9:56. I just got there in time. The bus was loading everyone's luggage into the bus.

I told my mother good-bye and ran toward the bus and the driver took my suitcase and told me to go get in line. I got shoved into the line next to a girl about my age.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Maxine Martin. What's yours?" she replied.

"Kristy W. How old are you?" I asked.

"11."

"Me too." I said.

Chapter 2

We sat together on the bus and discussed our lives. Soon we became good friends.

"Where do you come from?" I asked.

"Ah, oh, uh. I come from Mars." she answered.

"You do!" I said jokingly.

"Yea." she said, "I'll show you some magic at camp."

"Wow!!" I breathed, "I can't believe it."

About an hour later we reached our destination, Yosemite.

We were shown where our cabins were and told where our meals were served.

Maxy and I were in the same bunk. I was glad.

Ringgg!!

"That must be the lunch bell." I said.

"We better hurry." Maxy said.

When we got there we had to get in a long line because we came a little late. Our cabin was the farthest away from the 'Dining Hall.'

After lunch we had a volleyball game. Maxy was on the other team.

In front of me there was a boy who looked liek Maxy. I asked his name.

"What's your name? I said casually.

"Maxwell Mart." He replied.

"I have a friend named Maxine Martin," I said, "She looks like you, sorta."

"Could I meet her?" He asked.

"Sure. Are you a Martian?" I said.

"How did you know!" he said.

"Well, I figured you were Maxy's brother that got lost on Earth," I said, "She told me about you. How old are you?"

"13." Max said.

"Oh." I said, "You must be him!"

After the game I took Max over to Maxy and told her it was probably her real brother. She was really excited.

That night I was so excited about Maxy and Max I couldn't sleep. I had not had Maxine show me some magic. I looked in the bunk below me, to see if Maxy was there. She was gone. Oh, no. I had better look for her.

Should I wake someone, and tell them she's gone? No, I better not. Maybe she's with Max!

I left quietly and went around our cabin. She wasn't there. Then I went over to Max's cabin. They weren't there.

I was afraid maybe something happened. I started running from dining hall to volleyball to every game we had had the day before.

"Kristy, Kristy, come here." said a voice like Maxy's.

"I can't see you, where are you?" I said.

"I'm on Mars, but I can take you there. Do you want to come?" she said.

"Yes!" I exclaimed.

"Come over here, toward the dining hall." she said.

I walked toward the dining hall. I felt like I had just ran into a wall. Then I felt like I was flying. Stop.

We were supposedly there. On Mars!

"Maxy, don't I need a mask or something?" I asked.

"No, you're with us." Maxy replied.

"Where do you live up here?" I asked.

"I'll show you." Maxy replied.

We walked on a moving sidewalk. It was like foam rubber. We got there very fast. It was a huge house. It was red. We went inside.

Inside it was very modern. It seemed very mechanical too. Maxy showed me through the house. Her bedroom was round and really big. I was wondering why her house was so big, because all the others were fairly small.

"Why is your house the biggest?" I said.

"Because my father is King of Mars."

"Wow, really?" I said exasperated.

"Yes, I'm a Martian Princess." She said seriously.

"You never showed me your magic powers, " I said, "Does everybody have magic powers?"

"No, just the Royal Family." She said, "When they become King or Queen they are given magic powers and the old Royal family keep their magic."

"Well, you can do your magic now." I said.

Maxine did her magic. It was very neat. She asked me if I wanted to have permanent magic.

"Oh, could I?!" I said excitedly.

"Yes, you can. It will be easy." she replied.

Chapter 3

We are in the two story cabin at camp.

"Now's the time to try you magic." Maxy said.

"What should I do first?" I asked.

"How about flying?"

"Okay." I said.

"First you have to know that you can fly and think 'fly.' Then jump from the ground and swing your arms at first so you won't fall." Maxine said.

I knew I could fly because of the magic. I thought, "Fly, fly, fly."

Then I started to swing my arms back and forth.

Soon I started to fly. We were in the two story cabin and I started flying up and down the stairs. This was terrific.

"What else can I do?" I asked.

"Well, you can use your index finger to do practically anything. You can be invisible as you know, and you can zap from one place to another." Maxy said.

"That sounds just perfect." I said.

"Yes, Max and I have a lot of fun with our magic powers. Everybody on Mars envies us." Maxine said.

Ringgg ringgg.

"That must be the lunch bell again." I said slowly.

"Hey, want to fly there?" Maxy said.

"That's a good idea, but won't somebody see us?" I asked.

"Not if we're invisible." Maxy said.

So we flew to the dining hall and were first there. We univisibled behind a tree. Then we were first in line. After lunch we had our normal after-lunch games.

We told Max that Maxy had given me magic powers and we told him that we had flown to lunch.

We were all (everybody in camp) going on a hike to a lake.

It was about two miles to the lake. It was a beautiful lake. We all went swimming. We swam for about an hour and then walked back to camp for dinner.

After dinner we flew back to our cabin and went to sleep.

Chapter 4

Ring ring ring.

"Ahh. That mush be the wake-up bell." I said sleepily.

"We better get up."

"I wish we could sleep just one more hour."

"Wanta stop time."

"What?"

"With our magic!"

"All right."

Boing pong zoop!!! (silence)

"Is time stopped now?" I asked.

"Yes, all but you and me and Max."

"Oh."

We went outside the cabin. Everything was silent. Even the wind had stopped. It was creepy.

"Let's get Max," we both muttered silently.

So we went to the boys cabins and got Max, who was watching the other boys silently.

"Why did you do this?" Max asked.

"Because we wanted more time to rest," Maxy explained.

"What are we gonna do?" I asked.

(Long pause).

"Why don't we go to Mars and visit your parents," I suggested.

"Good idea," The Maxes replied.

For about 15 minutes (at least it seemed that long) we traveled through space.

No comments:

Post a Comment