Monday, September 14, 2009

Poem from May 16th, 2007

Selves and Souls

A childhood friend reconnects with me
--in my grown-up life, making me
see my self in new, (yet actually the old)
light. I see from eyes of youth now
fleeting, so I reach
for past parts of me.

Muscles newly moving, me renewing.
Quiet moments, buttressed by boys--
their joyous noises, cries, demands.

Dishes in the sink, always more to do. Laundry
in piles, daily growing and shrinking. Helped by
hands just small and cute. Little voices learning
labels and notes. Brothers bustling about
our house. A house, tall and white.
Ours to create.

Spring here. Flowers there. A football to
throw for my babies grown to boys. A garden
to plant, to weed, to tend. A family, forever
marked in daily doses of breakfasts,
books and good night kisses.

My family, with me renewing through
moments real and precious. Tears and elbows
combining. This life passing,
leaving a trail on selves and souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment